Friday, May 27, 2005

Free Gas Friday!

“Mix 92.5…. plays the hits… of today?” No, that is not the “phrase that pays” for Seattle’s KLSY 92.5 radio station. But it was the answer that I gave the bright-eyed intern this morning as she was handing me a slip of paper with the number 52 printed on it while I was waiting in line at the Chevron Station on Bellevue Way for free gas.

I was driving to work today on my normal route and was about 3 minutes from my office when I happened to glance over at the Chevron station. I noticed a radio station was setting up some sort of tent, and there were balloons and a table on which someone was stacking boxes of Krispy Crème donuts. So changed to that station, which was not on my pre-set already, and heard the DJ say something to the effect of:

“Producer John is out in the field at a secret, undisclosed location, where he’ll be giving out free gas to loyal listeners all morning long! Stick with us, because in 10 minutes, we’re going to announce his secret location!!”

I knew the secret location. I had less than ¼ tank of gas already in the car. I flipped a bitch.

As I pulled into the gas station, I rolled down my window and yelled “AM I TOO EARLY?!?!” I was immediately shushed by the guy as I realized that he was actually on-air at the time, speaking into a microphone… oops.

So I kept driving into work (I was the duty broker this morning, so I really should have gone right into work), got to the office, grabbed a co-worker, got someone else to cover me on duty, and we took off to head back to the Chevron. At this point, the location was just being announced and some other early birds there were starting a line, so I grabbed a spot in line and waited. Soon enough, a bright-eyed intern (who likely still thinks that handing out bumper stickers and directing traffic at free-gass-give-aways for an adult contemporary radio station is really going to launch a high-powered career in PR some day…) came up and said those fateful words:

“What’s the phrase that pays?!”

Oh damn.

Well, so, see my first lines to get a better idea of how I tried to wing-it. She was nice though, and coached me through it. It took her finally asking me, “Okay, uh, is mix 92-5 your favorite radio station….?”

“Mix 92-5 is my favorite radio station?” I had never actually announced a question before.

This was adequate to receive my #52, a free box of Krispy Crèmes and $25 bucks worth of gas. They even pumped the gas for me!

As I was driving away, I thought, ‘Self, I should put this station as one of my presets, I mean, not 1 or 2 or anything, but maybe a respectable 4?”

And then I thought, “Self, I’ve been listening to this station for about 20 minutes now while waiting in line, and so far I’ve heard MatchBox 20 AND Edwin McCain…. This station blows!”

So, I left my presets as they were, and I am and will continue to be, an ungrateful bastard.

1 comment:

Lisaopolis said...

Wow, very nice! Lucky tard! Styming the radio station! Mix 92.5! Or is that a Most Interesting PA station?

I like the Krispy Crehm spelling too, makes them sound just so French (isn't that your inner European?). Congrats on not falling into the ploy of this radio station to get you as a Loyal Listener, and for really getting something for nothing, which I'm sure you've paid for in karma anyhow somewhere.

Yes, the best things in life ARE free.