Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Welcome to the world inside my head. It's quite fluffy these days.

My premeditated fun activity of the day today was going to be looking for a "Stay Golden" T-shirt online to see if I could find the same one the girl at The Coug was wearing in Pullman. I did find one, but it was at a site called bust.com, in their "Boobtique", which is essentially a collection of trendy silly t-shirts in women’s cuts (what, are they all tight? Best be sure to get one size bigger than normal...). Made me wonder why companies don’t court more business from people who are online shopping while at work. I mean really, who’s going to feel comfortable with their network administrator looking over a purchase at bust.com’s boobtique??? I think a better idea would be to have say, an e-bay or amazon.com type or retailer, but call its website "2005/2006 biannual cash-flow statement of Omnec Inc." They might get a fair amount of business from cubicle dwellers. Just an idea.

But anyway- I bought the t-shirt (in a size L instead of an M), and it should be arriving in a few days. Very excited, but I am dealing with feeling slightly ashamed for making a purchase at a "Boobtique."

I’m not sure why I have a fascination with the Golden Girls, other than the fact that it has one of the best theme songs of all time, and it was on Saturday Nights when I was growing up, which was one of the few nights that I was allowed to watch TV. I also really liked Empty Nest which followed the show, but mostly because of the dog. I think his name was Bacchus. No, that was my 3rd grade teacher’s dog’s name. The dog on the show was named Dreyfuss. (God I love the internet!) The show also starred Christy McNichol, though at the time, I really didn’t realize how cool she had been in her teen/child-star years. I liked her character, and I always thought she would be a cool older sister. Even though I have two real-life older sisters who are, by all accounts, cool enough on their own merits.
Wait… now I remember, Empty Nest was a spin-off of Golden Girls. That’s right… I think Blanche, in all of her lasciviousness, wanted to date the main character- what was his name anyway? Richard? Harry? He was a pediatrician though, I am certain of that.

Flash bulb moment: Here’s a great use of "Jump the shark:"

The TV show Empty Nest jumped the shark when the original Dr’s office closed and they started working out of a neighborhood clinic. Just took the show in too much of a public health direction. Sheesh. No one wants to see doctors treating kids on Medicaid, we just want to sit at home on Saturday nights and watch lovable doctors treat upper-middle class kids who are covered by their financially secure parents’ insurance plans. Duh…

Dangit. My mind is now racing with late-80’s, early 90’s nonsense. I was going to write today’s post about the new trend off silly logo t-shirts. I was going to pose the question of:

Are printed T’s of ’05 what flannel button-downs were to ’95?

Well, okay, I was originally going to write about libraries and how great they are. How much I love them, and how much I’m reminded of this every time I step into one- which always makes me think, "I should come here more often!" but then I never seem to…

I promise, it was going to be very thoughtful and well-worded. Honest, I swear! It was going to counter last nights post about going back to Pullman for homecoming where I essentially did nothing to rekindle, or even maintain normal brain-cell activity. Dangit! And now here I am itching to talk more about Golden Girls. And its spin-off, Empty Nest. And you know what’s worse? Are you sure you want to know? After that, I want to talk about the spin-off of the spin-off. Yeah, I want to talk about "Nurses." I might even want to do a whole post on Park Overall. Where is she now anyway?

Have there been any successful spin-offs since Frasier? Though "Joey" is in its second season, should we really count it/consider it "successful"?

Can you imagine how successful I would be if I didn’t have these questions running through my head all day? But I guess this brings me back full-circle, because at this point I need to say: Thank God for libraries, where I can come on my lunch break and use the internet to release these thoughts from my mind. Is that actually healthy? Or does releasing the thoughts just make room for new ones?

Is blogging like milking your mental cow? If you keep milking/blogging does your cow/mind keep producing milk/(what most reasonable people would consider) random and inconsequential thoughts? Is there a way to wean myself off of blogging so that these thoughts will gradually dwindle as my mind reduces supply in reaction to a reduced demand?

If I quit blogging cold-turkey will I experience mental engorgement and possible mental infections?

Should I make a t-shirt that reads: "Milk Your Mental Cow: Blog" ??

Cripes. I think I need to go to grad school or something, as this is what happens when you are not mentally exhausted on a routine basis. Such unguided thought pollution can’t be good for the environment.

9 comments:

Lisaopolis said...

Golden Girls rule. With all this ponderage on questions, I guess it's best you're not in academia. Think of question ponderage PLUS how to ground that in theoretical frameworks and provide new data to churn out new questions.

At least in this Borough, T-Shirts with phrases on them are 'in'. I guess people want people checking out their racks. I've never really had that problem before. I'm gonna check out boob.com toute suite!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Phrase T's are absolutley the '05 answer to the flannel shirt. And while I think the T you purchased on boobtique site sounds fantastic, many of these tees horrify me. We are selling tees in the men's dept. at Nordstrom right now that are black and in big red lower case letters read:

i love my girlfriend.

They are selling out.
We are also selling out of 70's and 80's T.V. show shirts: Charlie's Angels, Dukes of Hazzard, Starsky and Hutch..... weren't these all recent films? This fake nostagia is upsetting -are these tees (worn by kids born after the shows were CANCELLED) a new kind of mock-vintage?
Ugh.
I won't approve until I see a Golden Girls tee. When I see a 12 year-old with Bea Arthur proudly displayed, I just might buy my own... and send it to Gina.

Hugs,
K

Anonymous said...

Obviously I should have looked at the picture of the "Stay Golden" Tee before commenting.

Looks like there truly is a Golden Girls tee.

Now I've seen it all.

K

Anonymous said...

ok im guessing that was a poop message. glad u got rid of him.
ok your officially a nerd with your golden girls love and internet too. library on your lunch hour? wow.
you should have bought a small t-shirt!
yea go to grad school. be smart like lisa.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gus said...

how can you go to that site and not find this...
http://www.bust.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Category_Code=02c&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=WU-WWCAMISET