Friday, October 28, 2005

Gaysploitation

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
LOS ANGELES -
George Takei, who as helmsman Sulu steered the Starship Enterprise through three television seasons and six movies, has come out as a homosexual in the current issue of Frontiers, a biweekly Los Angeles magazine covering the gay and lesbian community.

How do you know that your career is beyond past-tense? Hum… I’m guessing its when you decide to out yourself and reap the benefits of once again being embraced by a community of followers and getting fan mail. I mean really, if I were this guys partner of 18 years, I might find myself asking:

“Darling, so where was I when you were in your Starship Enterprise hay-day? I guess you didn’t need us then…”

which might even lead into accusatory:

“Okay, great. I see how it is. I only exist in your life when it’s convenient for your career!?! Is that the way its going to be??”

Which would naturally be followed with:

“What about MY career George? Did you ever think about how difficult it was for ME to always have to go solo to my engineering firm’s holiday parties??”

And end with a passive-aggressive:

“Were you even going to discuss this with me first? I thought we were a team! By the way, your weird voice has creeped me out for 18 years!!”

-end scene-

Anyway…. I’m going to call it gaysploitation. I’m so flippin’ proud of myself for making up a new word. I hope it becomes trendy and “it” and “now” –and I hope I can somehow capitalize on it…

Defined: The exploitation of ones homosexuality to renew interest in a celebrity career that has by all accounts, jumped the shark many, many moons ago. Examples include: Anne Heche and the more recent George Takei, AKA Sulu of TV’s Star Trek.

4 comments:

Gus said...

Howard Stern had a bit on the other day where they used Sulu's voice to piece together prank phone calls. Absorutery Hirarrious. Plus Shattner was on the show at the time, and even he thought it was funny.

And how about a term for reversing your "jumped the shark" status? Shattner is pretty good on Boston Legal, although I've only seen a little of it.

So if you get popular again, without it being becuase of your famous gig back in the day, are you no longer a has-been?

Like if Mili or Vanilli was a good baseball player and made it to the majors on their own accord, I think that would be reversing the "jumped shark" label. Now if the other tried to make a single about baseball and sell it because they used to Mili or Vanilli, and their former partner was now into baseball, then you could refer to them as having jumped the shark a long time ago...

Lisaopolis said...

I think Anne Heche is dating George T. Now that'd be a scandal of galaxian proportions!

Anonymous said...

screw all teh shark talk.
how about mexisploitation.
so lame society is finally recognizing their power and kissin up to them!

Anonymous said...

How DARE you insult an actor of George Takei's stature! Did you not see the genious he exhibited in that scene where he emoted to a fake plastic alien? Plus, it wasn't too cool to be out of the closet in Hollywood in the 60s....even if your show was set in the future.