Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Look into my eyes... deeper...you are getting sleepy...

Okay, I have to start by saying: I’m not objected to getting older. As I’ve mentioned before, I think I’m getting better and better with each passing year. BUT- I couldn’t help but notice, that when I look through recent pictures, I seem to be on the advanced track for signs of aging. Specifically, wrinkles around my eyes. On their own merits, I don’t really mind the fine lines. But when I realize how quickly they are becoming less and less “fine,” I get a bit concerned and start thinking that maybe spending $50 on a half-ounce jar of wonder serum sold by someone the a lap coat and a GED at the mall might not be such a bad idea after all.

I’ve always had dry skin, which seemed to be a good thing as a teen and early adolescent, because I never had to deal with a big acne problem. However: dry skin comes back to bite you in the butt because apparently you really need to take care of it as soon as you hit, oh, 25 or so. But I haven’t been doing such a good job of this I guess.

Behold! Yet another photographic essay; this time of "Lefty," my left eye!

Here’s Lefty in college: Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is just a cropped, close-up of the picture of the one I took of the composite photo (featured in my WSU Homecoming post). It’s not the clearest photo, so perhaps this isn’t a good baseline for comparing apples to apples, but it’s the best I can do under the “I didn’t have a digital camera back then” circumstances.

While it’s a bit fuzzy, there are no visible signs of fine lines/wrinkles.


Jump forward about 9 years to May 2005: This was taken at Lindsey’s birthday Party. Not bad, but I think I had more fine lines than the average 26 year old:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Hop ahead again 4 months to this past September. This is Lefty after enjoying some cake at a wedding in Oak Harbor: It now officially looks like I have a bear claw in the corner of my eye:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Here’s one shot from last weekend on Friday evening in Pullman, the night we got into town: The bear claw has grown and blended into a nice flowing wave. I AM a water sign, and I have been swimming more lately, but I’m not a fan of these waves:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Now, here’s the one that made me freak out in the first place. This is Lefty the morning of the football game in Pullman last weekend:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Yes, that really is MY eye, not my grandmother’s.


I couldn’t help but think, ‘Do my eyes really look like that?!?” and “Hum, maybe I shouldn’t smile so much,” and “I wonder if I would have nicer looking eyes if I weren’t laughing 98% of the time?” So I figured I could cut back on laughing AT other people, but laughing WITH other people was not something I wanted to eliminate, or even cut back. So to be fair to myself, I looked closer at the last picture, and blew it up to the size that you’re now seeing. And then I remembered how I went out and had (more than) a couple of beers the night before. And how I left my eye make-up remover at home and had the previous day’s remnants of mascara still lingering around my eyes… And that made me feel a little better. I love excuses…

And after all, when I’m not smiling, I’m more or less okay. Here’s a picture of me at Beth’s wedding last month. It was a rare shot where I had a neutral expression on my face, so I wasn’t in my normal squinty smile:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I can still see the fine lines, but they’re not bad. I can live with them. I might even learn to love them.

But am I still going to spend WAY too much money this weekend at the Clinique counter on some little bottle(s) of wonder serum? Unfortunately, all signs point to yes.

8 comments:

Lisaopolis said...

Oil of Olay, every day, every night.

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

I dunno, I think wrinkly folks are easier to talk to than those who are either botox'd within an inch of their lives or who have gotten too many facelifts. Some of them are kinda scary, like their faces might split or something. Who needs to worry about their conversation partner's face splitting off? Like I don't have enough anxiety in my life?

I say avoid avoid the eye cream, but maybe that's just because I don't want to be the only girl hanging out on Crow's Feet Row.

Anonymous said...

It's not what you see around the eyes, it's what you see in the eyes! ;-)

Gus said...

billy jo bob has it right (and a long triple-name first name)

no one ever says "did you see the skin around the eyes on that girl?" "man shes hot" everyone always says "she has beautiful eyes," or something like that.

and you should only compare now and then pictures if you don't drink and get plenty of sleep. for the majority of us, that isn't the case, and the past body shapes are just a fond memory...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Gina, Take it from the old guy, you need to let go of worrying too much about this stuff. Buy the jar of Oil of Olay, or the latest wonder cream from QVC and move on.

Just think some day your eye will be suffering from being up all night for several days with little gina (or george). Now THAT's aging... Something to look forward to. :)

Emily:) said...

Dude, your scary eye follows me in my sleep;) I'm only 26. Is this what 27 will be for me too? hehe. Just kidding. I really like Benefit "Eyecon": http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/benefit/product.asp?pd=8119&ct=skincare&pg=1

Seriously, we all look like that after night of drinking:) At least you have pretty eyes to start with:)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.