Wednesday, October 12, 2005

My day with Wy....

That's what I call her now. A lot of people know her as "Wynonna Judd" but to me, she's just Wy. Because now we're best friends forever. That's what getting an autograph and making small talk with someone makes you right?!?

But first- some housekeeping issues in response to some recent comments:

1) I think this was answered already, but "Jumping the Shark" mean- going past your peak, specifically in the entertainment industry. It's all down hill from that point on. In my last entry, I had a link on the phrase, click on it. It will take you to its definition in the urban dictionary. Now I will use Jump the Shark in a sentence: Growing Pains was a great show, but it really jumped the shark when Leonardo DiCaprio joined the cast.

2) Dude, I totally remember the Peanuts character glasses that you could collect from McDonalds (or was it Dairy Queen??) They ruled.

3) No, Al Gore didn't REALLY invent the internet. I was being a smart-ass. Look into "Al Gore" and "Information Super Highway". I'm all about mid '90's pop culture. Why aren't you?

Oh that's right, because you're too busy pooping.

Okay- and now... ON WITH THE GOOD STUFF...

I went to see Wynonna sing with the Seattle Symphony last night and it was actually my first time to Benaroya, or to a performance by the Seattle Symphony at all for that matter. SO- if they agreed to play with her as an outreach to the no-orchestra crowd, it certainly worked on me. I tried to take some pictures, but pictures weren't allowed (I learned this after taking a picture of Erin in our 3rd deck seats before the show started and getting scolded by an usher...oops).

The show started promptly at 7:30, when the conductor came out and struck up the band. He was whiley and conducted music not so much with a wand, but with his whole body. He reminded me of the guy in The Phantom Toll-Booth who conducts the sunrise. He made me want to be a conductor in my next life.

It was Wynonna's first time playing with an orchestra, and it was enough to make even a 20 year veteran stage performer nervous. But it was kind of nice to see her a little nervous, and a little unchoreographed. It was more spontaneous that way. There were a few instances when she turned to the conductor and said something to the effect of, "Okay, you can start now." Which reminded me that she is normal. She sang I'd say...oh, about 50% of her own songs, or The Judds songs, and the other half were old standards, jazz or rock classics. There was one gospel song at the end which really showcased her two back-up singers and gave them a chance to stretch their legs- or vocal chords as it were.

I'd have to say my favorite moments of the show were when she sang "Is It Over Yet" (which is really a very emotionally draining song when you see it performed live), and when she sang, "At Last." She did a great job with this song, but when it was almost over, she just stopped, turned around and said to the conductor, "Wait- wait... I'm sorry, can we start over? Its just not quite right. This is Seattle, this is big time. I can do better." And they started all over again. And MAN, I thought it was fine the first time, but she put every thing into round two and it made me all melty inside.

My least favorite part of the evening was when she really showed that she'd never sang with a symphony before by leaving the stage at the end of the night without acknowledging the musicians OR the conductor. Faux Pas, Wy. Give them a nod next time. They kicked ass and deserved some serious credit. But even pro's make rookie mistakes when trying new things I suppose.

She was a gracious hostess for the evening, but not to be confused with humble. She was very proud, and very aware of her presence, which is good. Modesty isn't always the best policy, and if you're a Judd, why bother with it? When shouts of "We love you Wynonna!!!" were heard from the crowd, her response was, "I know you do. That's why I'm here."

So needless to say, I was hooked on the flava' and by about 10AM today, I knew that there was no way I wasn't going to go see her sign books at the Costco downtown. So I excused myself from work for a couple of hours. I really should have asked her if she needed to open an IRA, then I would have felt a little less guilty about leaving work in the middle of the day. After waiting in line for about an hour and a half, (all the while making nice new friends with my line mates) I finally got to see her up close and personal. The book signing was very efficient and organized to the extent that we were all probably being herded like cattle, but I don't think anyone felt processed or rushed at all. In fact, I not only got to have a picture taken with her, but also had plenty of time for small talk while she signed my items. Here's the transcript:

Line organizer guy, after asking my name: This is Gina

Wy: Ginaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!! (in her low, velvety voice)

Me: Hi! (as she starts signing) Wow- your ring is beautiful!! (it was eye-catchingly fabulous- hadn't seen a celebrity wedding ring up close and personal before and WOW)

Wy: Well thanks! I figured I plan to wear it for the rest of my life, so I might as well have something that I really like.

Me: Yeah, That's a pretty good theory.

Wy: (Laughs politely) yeah, well, I didn't used to have all of this.

Me: Right. Well, I always say, Go Big or Go Home. (not being able to think of anything else witty)

Wy: (Pausing from her signing to look up at me) Go Big or Go Home? I've never heard that. I like it. I might have to use that.

Me: Well, I sure hope you do. I'd have to tell all my friends that you got it from me (now I'm blushing... she's continuing to sign, moves on to the DVD). Oh, that ones for my sister, she's going to love it.

Wy: Well, you tell your sister that we really missed having her here today.

Me: I will. And I've got to ask you... How much did it ROCK to play with Anne and Nancy Wilson?

Wy: (eyes widen) Oh, totally! Anne was supposed to be at the show last night, but she couldn't make it at the last minute.

Me: Whoa! That would have been awesome!

Wy: I probably would have pee'd my pants!

Me: Well thanks so much, and great show last night!

And that my friends, is how it all went down. How someone could be so calm cool and collected after signing and small-talking with 200+ fans, who all want deep down to tell you their life story and become your best friend (like me!!) is beyond me. If it were me, I'd probably have been crank-pot central by fan number 25. But she is a real pro. And not that I ever thought otherwise, but I'm a fan for life.

16 comments:

Lisaopolis said...

OH. MY. GOD.

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!!!!!!!! I"M SO EXCITED - not only that you went and saw Wy with the Seattle Symphony but that you went to the book signing too and met her! You ROCK! I'm so glad it was fun and you guys enjoyed yourselves. I love the pic - you look fabulous!
Love ya,
Amy

p.s. I love your reference to obnoxious pooping man in the initial part of your entry. LOVE IT!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I am very excited for you and also very jealous. The picture is fabulous. Are you sisters? - Beth

Anonymous said...

"One time when I saw Anne Wilson, I pee'd myself." - Wynonna Judd

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

She is one well-preserved woman...shoo, I might have to get a little chicky-crush on her. I do kinda go in for modesty, but heck, if she sang "At Last" (that's my wedding song) I'll be the town crier telling everyone how great she is FOR her.

Anonymous said...

u look like sisters.

Lisaopolis said...

Hmm, maybe you are the Lost Judd and "A" and I are the only REAL Hundles. I knew there was a reason you had red hair.

Gus said...

sound like fun, but we want to hear all about your WAZZU weekend...

check out my blog for mine. (you too Jose)

Anonymous said...

I think you are in no place to make judgements on Wynonna.
You act as though you are a fan but then you Diss her without her being able to defend herself.
Wynonna was not rude to Christian the Symphony conductor, or to any of the other members. Did you forget that she even wiped his brow? Besides I am sure you were not backstage. After the concert Wynonna took over a hour before she even came out. Hmm wonder what she was doing? Too bad we will never know..but I can bet she was not spending time with herself..
She sure took the time to thank me that night...and say goodbye after the concert.
Wynonna is the most polite celebrity I have ever seen.
By the way the guy who was at Costco running the line.. He is Roach Wynonna's husband.. Hmm wonder why you did not know that being you are such a fan...

Gina Grace said...

Duuuuuuude.... Calm down. I wasn't DISSING anyone. I was just pointing out that she didn't publicly acknowledge the conductor or the symphony at the end of the performance. She didn't. I noticed it as being odd, and I noticed it as conspicuously missing. I'm not attacking her character. I wrote that she was a very gracious hostess for the evening. She was. I thought she was great. I thought she was human. It'd be a stretch to get a finer compliment out of me.

I'd offer to review the next show I see with a "It was really good, I had a nice time, sunshine, roses la la la..." but I prefer to be more honest. Her show WAS great, and its imperfections made it so.

No, I didn't know that the guy helping with the line was her husband. I am a fan of her music, not a stalker of her personal life. (I was using sarcasm with the whole, "This is my new best friend Wynonna" bit. If you can't read into that, then most of this blog won't jive with you)

I could be wrong, but just from first glance, you seem like the kind of person who would quote the Bible with people when arguing, then feel like you're a better person if you have more verses memorized. Have fun with that.

But again, I could be wrong. Maybe you're more articulate with the spoken word than the written?

Thanks for stopping by.

Gina Grace said...

Okay- I'll define "acknowledge" the conductor and symphony, then I'm going to stop debating with you on my blog- if you have more comments, feel free to e-mail me directly.

Acknowledge: when I use this word, I mean after taking your own bow and receiving the audiences applause, you gesture to the conductor. The conductor generally takes a modest bow, gestures to the symphony and the crowd can express their satisfaction with the performance via a bow. Perhaps I should have clarified. My bad. Just figured anyone who had ever seen live music that in some form or fashion involved a conductor, would know what I was talking about.

But what happens when we assume?? We make an ASS out of U and ME

Lisaopolis said...

Hm, looks like SUNIL is back in town. Or if this is a different Anonymous, I say this: Anon, come on over to MY blog, the seriousness of my writing will really align with your (apparent) needs. I'd suggest working on your punctuation though.

Jesus lives!

Gina Grace said...

Oh Heck, just had to copy and past this since my anon. friend just posted this to one of last month's entries... Silly anon.

But I had to cut and past to make my last comment make sense. There I go being an egomaniacal lunatic again. Wait... isn't that what having your own blog is all about??

________

Anonymous said...
One other point I forgot to mention.. Wynonna did thank Christian(The conductor) before leaving. She gave him a kiss on the cheek.
I bet he really felt unappreciated.

Anonymous said...

Well I have to say..where were you when she kissed the conductor before she left?? Maybe speaking truthfully would help.

Anonymous said...

BTW who are you to say I quote the bible. I dont recall quoting the bible at all.
I was just upset that you put her character down when I do not feel you posted the truth. I saw her kiss the conductor. As far as you putting me down. That shows me your character is lacking. I am by no means a stalker. Just a loyal fan that feels it is unfair to judge her when I felt you did not tell the truth. Sorry for posting in the wrong place.. Its not like i have seen your site before. But again you choose to put someone down you do not know.
As for knowing Roach's name. It is common knowledge among fans who he is. I dont think it takes a stalker to know it.
Sorry if you felt attacked.
I enjoyed the rest of your article just not your view of how she treated the symphony.

Anonymous said...

Gina,
Just ignore that lunatic Wynonna fan, were not all like that. I enjoyed your review of the concert and your photo! Normal Fan Here!

South Alabama!