Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Do you want a ticket...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

To the GUN SHOW?!???

Ah, that joke just never stops being funny… to me at least.

I’m glad my teaser photo yesterday had the desired effect to illicit comments like “What?!? I thought you were a tree hugger??” I always like to keep you all guessing!

So it all started with a hypothetical discussion about gun ownership:

J: I want to have a gun in my house.

G: Are you insane? Why ever would you do such a thing? I don’t like guns. In fact, that might even be a deal-breaker for me.

J: What is this crazy-talk woman? Have you ever even seen a real gun before?

G: Do I LOOK like a shooter?

J: Gosh!

G: Fine!

Both: Okay, want to go for a bike ride? Yay!

Enter the neighbor; a retired Marine helicopter gunner/retired sheriff’s department guy (are they called deputies? Officers? Cops??). This is the guy who has every power tool known to man, (including a totally sweet miter saw, which I have to admit, made installing laminate flooring both a pleasure and an honor.) He’s just the nicest most helpful person in the world. Always offering to lend a helping hand (or miter saw, as it were) AND his wife makes really good cookies that are offered in abundance.

This guy teaches gun safety classes now (when he’s not organizing his garage or going on walks around the neighborhood with said cookie-making wife) and he offered to share some of his know-how with me. (True to form with his super helpful nature).

I just ran a google images search for “grandfather and gun” to see if I could find a graphic depiction of someone who was both grandfatherly and a sporting a weapon, to give you a visual idea of who I was talking about, but this was all I could find. Not really on the right track at all, but who doesn’t love a top hat?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Okay- So we went over to his garage for a tutorial on guns and amo. And safety. Lots to learn. I did a lot of smiling and nodding. Lots of caliber, millimeter, trigger, hammer, dual action, automatic v. semiautomatic talk. Lots of “Uh huh’s” from me.

Onward to the North Whidbey Sportsmen's Association shooting range (which today at least, would have to be a “sportsperson’s” shooting range).

There were two other groups there, they were shooting clay pigeons with riffles. Not us, we brought the hand guns only. I mean really, how am I going to learn how to “bust a 9” unless I well, bust a 9.?

As we were getting started, after the first few shots, I looked out beyond our targets (which were not very far away- actually, they were pretty damned close: I’d like to consider myself a natural sharp-shooter, but really, even I needed some “Ladies tees”). About 50 yards out from where we were standing, at ground level (the range is dug down about 5+ feet so your bullets doing just going flying willy-nilly into the open woods…) was a young deer. Just eating some grass, looking at us, and enjoying the sound of bullets cracking through the air. He was a boy-deer. Of course. If he were a human boy, I bet he’d be the kind of boy who lit of fire crackers in his hand and threw them at people. Dumb-ass.

You can kind of see him, but his coat is on the cutting edge of camouflage technology.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So we shot guns. And I learned about how they work and how to use them. I remember the basics, but still wouldn’t chose the have one on my own. But I feel somewhat okay with the idea of having one in my domicile. Because truth be told, when it comes to protection, Daphne isn’t nearly as vicious as she looks. Image hosted by Photobucket.com

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tickets to the gun show!! (Yup, still laughing) Doyle and I shot guns at WSU for our Military Science class, ahh, the good old days!

Well this gun ownership thing is up for current debate in our household, perhaps we need a trip to the Washington sportsperson range to help us make an informed decision. - Beth

Lisaopolis said...

WalMart should be able to help youse out. They sell guns 'n amo 'n such 'n stuff. They also sell goldfish.

The "Gun Show" joke is just darn funny, no matter what! Especially the way Ginapalooza says it.

Anonymous said...

joke not that funny. deer in background, priceless!

im not opposed to guns, but dont know if they are really necessary. that would be a good debate.
what if daphne gets a hold of it? she knows how to break into the fridge already. i hope u buy a good gun safe.

Anonymous said...

Umm... yeah, guns are a great thing to have in a house:

http://www.vh.org/adult/patient/internalmedicine/aba30/1998/guns.html

http://home.att.net/~Resurgence/L-kellermann.htm

Also, it is univerally recognized that guns should be left unloaded in the house with ammunition in other locations for child safety reasons. Probably kind of funny to watch someone scrambling to remember where they left the bullets as a prowler is around.

Stun guns on the other hand I think I could get behind... and it would be funny to watch a burgler shaking on the ground vs. bleeding! ;-)

Gus said...

Well it sounds like everyone has shot a gun but me. time to hit up ol' Officer Jenkins for some know-how.

plus there is not near enough poop discussion in your blog, so you can check out mine.
http://gus008.blogspot.com

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

The gun show joke is great, but I gotta go with Billy Joe Bob on this one. Unless you're Special Ops, you're probably more likely to shoot your dog than a burgular (who will then steal your gun). Fun at the shooting range? Sure! Fun household item and decorative conversation-starter? No way.

I'd get an alarm for your house (perhaps outfitted with bad 70's dance tracks and a disco ball, to be TRULY scary) and a safe-deposit box for the gun to live in!

Gina Grace said...

Excellent feedback everyone (except the anon poster who didn't think that the gun-show joke was that funny- he/she is just wrong)!

That settles it: Gun in house stored/locked away. Amo stored in a seperate wing of the mansion.

Actually, after Jose read the link sent by Billy Joe Bob and learning that most gun accidents are from people shooting their spouses on accident, he calls me: "Okay, remind me to hide the key to the gun safe from you!"

Lisaopolis said...

OK, so you have a gun in one place and the ammo in another and the key to unlock everything in yet another.

Sounds super efficient to me. Get the bad guys! Protect your home. As long as you can pre-plan an incident to get everything put together on time.

For now, I'll stick with my nordic walking poles with removeable ends for super sharp tips for quick acccess and jabbing opportunities should anything arise. Primitive? No, I call it sly. Which thug would anticipate a pole jabbing in the eye?

Stay the course! The bad guys are coming! Git off mah land!