Tuesday, September 20, 2005

A Few Topics to Ponder

1) Being in various states of undress during fire alarms/drill is no fun at all. Especially when the alarm is piercingly loud, almost to the point of making your ears bleed, and you just can’t find your pants fast enough.
2) If I were a professional singer, I would want to be just like Jennifer Warnes
3) I might meet and fall in love with Neil Diamond tonight.

Explanations:

1) Last night, like every night I got home from work and began my usual homecoming process. I change, check my e-mail until Daphne just can’t put up with waiting any longer, then I head out to the dog park with her. Some days I go straight from the dog park to the gym, other days I come home and do other fun, less physically active things like e-mailing, blogging laundry etc… So last night I was past stage 1-A: I had taken off my work clothes and was checking my e-mail in my socks and underwear. Come to think of it, I guess this is pretty normal for me. I was mid-e-mail-check when out of nowhere, my apartment building’s central fire alarm system went off. Took me a while to figure out what the heck it was- it couldn’t have been my smoke detector- that is a loud, pulsing sound. And I wasn’t making pot-stickers. This was a super loud, ear-piercing, deafening, solid scream. Daphne and I were both looking at each other like, “What the heck did you DO??” Then because I have the opposable thumbs in the relationship, I realized that it was the fire alarm. Crap…. I need some pants! But all I want to do is get the hell away from that SOUND! And I can’t leave Daphne inside to burn, and I need to take her out now anyway, so I’ll just go to the park now. But that requires pants AND a shirt… So I threw on some sweats, a dirty t-shirt that was actually inside out (hey, I can say I was trying to bring that fashion back…) and shoved some shoes on my feet grabbed the leash and mouthed to Daphne, “Let’s Go!” She took off as soon as I opened the door. I was running after her and just as I was about to snap her leash on, I realized that somehow my t-shirt got tucked not only into my pants in the back, but also into my underwear, which were at that point, exposed for the rest of my apartment evacuees to view. Hot.

Lesson Learned: Don’t hang out in your underwear. You never know when you’ll need to flee.

2) I’ve been doing a lot of Karaoke research lately (Hey, even Tiger Woods has to practice chipping and putting...) and I’m trying to put together a book of lyrics to a handful of choice Karaoke favorites, so that rather than focus on the words, I can really focus on the musical flair and style of the song next time I’m up on stage at the Rickshaw Tavern off of Lake City Way. So on my play list are a few classic duets including, but not limited to, “Up Where We Belong” and “I’ve Had The Time Of My Life”. BOTH of these songs feature the vocal stylings of one Miss Jennifer Warnes. Who’s that? Yeah, I didn’t know either. But I know now, because I spent too much of my day today (about 15 minutes) researching her. I have determined that she has the best of both worlds: She is accomplished and respected in the music industry, has worked with an array of musicians and has a few (see above…) big hits to her name, and has had a long (and seemingly stable) career as a professional singer. But she’s not famous. At all really. She’s just a normal person, who has a great voice, and makes a living off it. Neat.

3) No explanation, other than I’m going to his concert tonight, and if things go right, he will catch my room key when I throw it on stage and we’ll make beautiful music together. Don’t worry, I’ve already told Jose about it. He fully supports this effort, saying that if he were me, he’d do the same. Which makes me only a little bit nervous.

9 comments:

Lisaopolis said...

hmm, i'll think twice about parading around in my apt 'mostly' nude. Clothes-smothes.

And Neil. What is there to say besides you are going to LOVE it. I saw him with some Snakey K's a few years ago (Key Arena? don't recall) and it is just fun to see while he's older and can't actually shake his booty like he used to (see "The Jazz Singer") he does still throw his fist in the air "they're comin to Ameri-caaaaa!'

And "Sweet Caroline" live is just the shiznit, note all the older housewives in the crowd, swooning.

Anonymous said...

jeers: to the bastardization of ghetto slang by whities

Gina Grace said...

Ohhhh friend.... You picked the WRONG girl with whom to start a conflict about language/slang evolution and usage...

Trust me, you don't want to be on the weak side of an argument about anything linguistically related if you're up against Ms. Lisaopolis herself. You best BRING IT.

Anonymous said...

I also suggest not hanging out in the undies in case the UPS man arrives. Then there is running around looking for clothes and worrying he is going to leave a little post-it about coming back tomorrow just because I can't find a shirt AND pants fast enough. Although if you had a hot UPS man, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. My UPS man looks like someone who is currently awaiting a face transplant. Not good. - Beth

Lisaopolis said...

I hang out in undies BECAUSE the UPS man arrives.

And yes, Ginapalooza is right, I'm the linguistic hired gun, I'd tread softly. Although I'm not sure why that applies since I see no bastardization of anything. Maybe anon. just wanted to try and sound cool.

Gina Grace said...

I think it was because you said "shiznit," but I could be wrong.

Anon, come out come out wherever you are!! We want to play!!

Lisaopolis said...

shiznit is something I first heard from, as anon probably says, 'whities'. Although actually I realize now I'm not really sure what a 'whitie' is. Is that somethign you whittle with? Or is it a person who wears tightie whiteys?

Anyway, I have used, not bastardized, shiznit for years. Bring it, anon!

Emily:) said...

I KNOW someone's not try to start a language fight with the linguistic arsenal we're packin! Bring it on anonymous biznatch!!! Neil will sing our soundtrack as we kick your electronic ass. Don't get me started on the history of language variation in the US;)

Lisaopolis said...

...not to mention the impact of the assynchronous (e.g. blogs) environment on language (in) use.

Want more big fancy terms? Oh, we got 'em...get ready to ruuuuuhmble!