Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Drunk Off Rock

Oh My Heck. Perhaps you could tell from my last post that I was randomly looking on Wynonna Judd’s homepage yesterday and stumbled upon a few timely events. 1) She was going to be featured on CMT’s “Crossroads” that night with Heart (wow!) 2) That she would be playing in Seattle with the Seattle Symphony in a couple of weeks (Weee!! Talk about good timing!?) and 3) That she would be on Oprah with her whole fan-damily today (Neat, but not quite as exciting as I’m not going to be able to watch it today since I’m…at work)

So I text messaged Lisa to be sure to catch CMT, called Beth to let her know that she should TiVo Oprah and spread the word about Wynonna at the Symphony on October 11th. Last night I cleared my calendar (AKA: “didn’t go to the gym”) to watch the episode of Crossroads. I mean really, how could I not watch this show when it was featuring Heart AND Wynonna?!

It. Was. Awesome.

I can truly say that I was drunk off of rock. Ann Wilson, Nancy Wilson (who, by the way, is just the most bad-ass sexy rocker girl I have ever seen) and Wynonna Judd, all on stage at the same time. I felt like I had swallowed a rock valium and could barely lift my jaw off the floor. It ruled. And I think VH-1 got the “Divas” concept totally wrong, as these three together define the concept of all that reins supreme. Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So yeah, I liked the show.

It made me want to be a rock star. But it made me realize that I would have a long way to go, as I can’t really sing (though you may argue that I can if you’re heard me belt out “Gloria” at Karaoke…) and I REALLY can’t play any instruments other than a G-chord on a guitar under Lisa’s most strict supervision.

But heck, just look at The Judds…. Naomi worked as an RN for years, barely making ends meet (because no super-star musician’s ever rose up from “upper middle class”) before she found her harmony with her daughter Wynonna…. Maybe there’s hope for me yet….

So that settles it. Long term goal #1 Have wild-side daughter who likes to sing and form a chart-topping, award winning, trail-blazing singing duo…

Or maybe for a short to medium-term goal I should consider the Heart route and finally concede to a sing-a-long with Lisa…



On a side note, while on her web-page, I also found that Wynonna will be signing copies of her latest release the day after her performance in Seattle. Of all places, she will be at the downtown Costco (which ironically, is one of my favorite businesses of all time). Do you think she would invite me to hang out with her if I brought her a bottle of Drop Dead Red??

8 comments:

Lisaopolis said...

cheeses, FINALLY a Hundles who WANTS to take up the singalong/hooteanny leadership without staring at ME to take over the "come on, SING! you're the 'musical' one...!" reins. Don't wait for your own imaginary rock star baby, use the resources you already have. Kick in some old Lutheran ladies to sing backup and you've got a show.

Pine Valley Ranch Christmas Special, here we come. Anne will totally get into it too, don't let her pretend not to. The G chord can take you far. The F chord takes more finger manevering. But then again, they don't call it the F chord for nothing.

I am still in Heart/Wynona Crossroads euphoria. Gawd they rawk. Better show than John Mayer/Brad Paisley and Bon Jovi/Sugarland.

Nancy Wilson is my musical idol. I can't wait to see "Elizabethtown" since she scored the whole damn film.

I'm waiting for the day that I run into them at the Bear Creek Safeway or North Bend Tift Haus or some such random Seattle area estab.

Lisaopolis said...

OH GOOD LORD IN HEAVEN, go meet Wynona and GET me a PERSONLIZED autographed CD! Get some for the whole family!

Anonymous said...

Ok - I obviously need to see Wy and Heart together but I wanted to offer that I loved seeing Bon Jovi/Sugarland together. Curious what John Mayer/Brad Paisley was like too... I need to catch up on my CMT!
Amy B

Emily:) said...

Wow, this is like the I heart CMT Blog;) I missed Heart and Wynonna but at least caught Bon Jovi and Sugarland. I saw Wynona play once at Jamboree in the Hills though and it was bitchin. I can see how that euphoria would be exponential when playing with Heart. They are rockin. Can I come and play in the Hindley band? I have red hair and I can play tamboreen:)

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

You and Lisa have to get matching bitchin' jackets or v-neck sweaters (for the Christmas special) or something when you take your show on the road. I already have my lighter out just waiting to holler "FREEEEEBIIIIRD" at just the right moment.

Lisaopolis said...

oh, bring on the HOLIDAY SWEATERS, you know the kind, with applique's on them, primarily in red and green, worn usually by that one type of old auntly-type woman at holiday bazaars and/or church fellowships or just on a WalMart run?

We can totally choreograph the walking down the road all three of us, singing along to 'Winter Wonderland' (east of the mountains) or "Christmas in the Northwest / is a gift God wrapped / in greeeeen..." (west of the mountains). I might even let the dog be in that scene. Provided she doesn't brush up against me and get her damn hair all over my holiday outfit.

Naturally, hot beverages and some sort of lodge would have to be involved and we could have special segments like "let's see what the folks at Cabin Creek are up to this afternoon" (tours of cabins with cocktails and snowmobile rides) or "what are our friends from our blogging community doing for Christmas" (satellite feeds of holiday traditions from around the nation). After some reflections on past holidays by mom and dad and after the last person crosses the nordic x-country three legged race telethon finish line, we could conclude with a rousing chorus with special guests Ann, Nancy and Wynona, sponsored in part by Drop Dead Red Wines.

But not that I've thought about this.

Emily:) said...

Yeah, Lis, you definitely haven't put too much thought into this one;)

Anonymous said...

One other point I forgot to mention.. Wynonna did thank Christian(The conductor) before leaving. She gave him a kiss on the cheek.
I bet he really felt unappreciated.