Thursday, July 21, 2005

No Pictures of me in my swim suit and goggles?? I want a refund!!

At last, times for my triathlon were posted. After WAY too long of a wait, I have confirmed that I did finish in the “about and hour and a half” range that I thought I did. Total time: 1 hour, 31 minutes and 38 seconds, which put me at #58 out of 122 racers. Phew! Above (verrrrry slightly) the median! And the real fun hasn’t even started…. The real fun is finding PHOTOS of yourself during such an event and realizing how pretty you are in spandex. Ummmm, spandex…. But folks, don’t get too excited. There were only a few photos of the swimming leg, and none of me. But I have a feeling I looked totally hot in my neon green swim cap and goggles, accented my a look of bewilderment on my face. Yeah, I’m pretty sure it was sexy. I took these photos off of the photographer's web site. I guess you only have to pay for print copies. That, or he shouldn't make it so easy for people to copy and past them... Anyway, I suppose I can live with the 80's style pencil sketch frame if they're on the house.

Here I am getting started in the bike leg- already out of the saddle on the first little hill? The learning experience here being: Make sure you’re already in an easy gear when you get started: you never know when they’ll be a hill right away. Getting your feet in the peddles, choking up the last bit of lake out of your lungs AND shifting at the same time is a bit much.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I like how the red and blue ankle strap on the timing chip kind of makes it look like I have rainbow colored socks on.

And after kickin’ ass and taking names during the bike leg, only to be humbled with thoughts of “oh sweet Jesus, I might die” throughout the entire running leg, here I am tossing myself over the finish line.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com once again: ummmm…spandex…

Another lesson learned: If you wear a top that zips up the front, you can’t very well pre-pin your number on your top, so you have to pin it on your pants or shorts. Then when you tear the number on your pants because you put them on way too fast are weren’t careful, you have a floppy, annoying number stuck to your hips for the entire race. Modify strategy next time.

Also for next time: be sure to throw hands up in the air and/or make victory punch toward the heavens, give a big, toothy smile, and pick up those knees when crossing the finish line. Makes for a much cooler looking picture.

And I for one, am all about looking cool.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"And I for one, am all about looking cool."

Well - at least we know the real reason you're doing this ...


JW

Anonymous said...

So proud of you!!! You did awesome! It is so hot in Texas, I couldn't even walk to the grocery store today. :(

I think you look fabulous in spandex.

Emily:) said...

I love the token 4 people at the finish line. Man, they really know how to do it up for a dramatic finish;)

Anonymous said...

GOOOOOOOOO GINA!!!! So much more effective than a spin around the lower promenade...though no whales and eagles. Ditto on the extras at the finish line...very funny background. Too hot in Harlem...We had lulnch in the garden yesterday but it was almost too hot to chew...Did they offer you champagne at the end of your accomplishment? Love,Cindy

Lisaopolis said...

I guess I won't post the pic of the back of your bootie in spandex whilst on bike ride, now will I???

I say next time you cross the finish line you swirl around like Maria von Trapp at the beginning of Sound of Music and swoon, "The Hills are ALIIIIVE" and see how -that- gets the crowd shaken up at the line.

Way to go on your first triathalon, I'm proud of you!

Anonymous said...

You are such a sexy little bitch..

Gina Grace said...

Friends, family, I'd like you to meet my friend Aaron Johnson. He apparently will be posting nasty little comments here and there...

Almost as fun as saying "Mom, Dad, this is my new boyfriend Rick W... We're so happy, and very much in love!"