Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Back in Action

Okay, as I return to my blogging duties, I bring with me a new tool that will surely add a whole new dimension to Ginapalooza. A camera phone. I finally buckled down and bought a new phone last night. Actually, the buying of the new phone wasn’t so hard- it was the renewing of the Verizon contract for two years that was hard. Cripes. I had been considering doing it for a several months, as I was using a ghetto, old-school Motorola brick-like thing (as I found it was better in battery life AND call reception than my newer, temporarily lost, but then recovered LG flip phone). I was also just out of my contract period and eligible for a new phone at a lower price upon renewal. I’ve actually liked Verizon quite well since I started using them, but many months ago, I was advised by a certain naval aviator to NOT renew on Verizon but switch to Cingular when my contract expired, so that I could have free mobile-to-mobile minutes with him. But okay, I really get it this time, I’m not going to be talking much to said aviator anymore. And I’m okay with that. And you know what, I like Verizon damnit, so I’m sticking with them.

But anyway- I finally have a camera phone, and I sprung for one that apparently has a pretty good camera- relative to most camera phones at least. Or the sales guy was lying to me. Either are viable options. Now all I need to do is get better at using it discretely. Today would have been a great opportunity. I went to Taco Time for lunch and there was a guy there with a mullet, wearing a black T-shirt with “Ready to Rock” in bold white block letters. Sweet! But I was alone, and didn’t want him to think I was a stalker. The last thing I need is a reputation as “the girl who stalks guys with mullets who are ready to rock.” I mean really, who wants to be THAT girl??

Hopefully next time such an opportunity comes along, I’ll be with someone else, so I can pretend I’m taking a photo of them, while the actual subject of the photograph is strategically placed in the background. My two best experiences with this strategy were #1 in the train station in The Hauge (Den Haag HS for the Dutchies out there) where there was a seemingly normal guy just standing there, looked like he was waiting for someone, but he was wearing bright yellow wooden shoes. It was classic. So I had Allison stand in between this guy and me, so I could take his picture, while the world thought I was taking a picture of her (a far more socially acceptable act) and #2 Same scenario, only the actual photo subject was a gigantic menorah on the lawn of a house in Berkley. Seriously, it was over 6 feet tall. So Beth stood in the foreground for me. What a good sport.

So get excited people. Because some of the Greater Seattle Area’s “What Not to Wear According to Gina” photos will be coming soon!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh man. I wanted to use that exact strategy so bad in new orleans. Abby was sitting in front of Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Brodrick (yeah we are cool) at this nice restaraunt, and I got my phone out just as they went outside for a smoke or phone call or a sponge bath or whatever famous people do when they are trying to be low profile. I waited a good 10 min, but we had already paid and I was feeling a little dorky with my phone (and hands) in my lap that long, so we of course left just as they were coming back in. No eye contact...apparently we aren't as cool as I thought...