Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Erik, I dedicate this one to you.

I gave this entry the above title because I'm going to talk about women in a locker room, and I wanted to proactively address any
snickering or borderline inappropriate comments. After all, I am the Queen appropriateness.


I was at the YMCA last night swimming. It was a little crowded, so I had to share a lane with 4 other swimmers, but other than that, it was a fine swim.

As background information, I will tell you that the locker room attendants tend to be older ladies who seem to enjoy sitting at the counter reading paperbacks while handing out towels and mini soap bars on an as-needed basis. Another core function of their jobs is handing out keys for the lockers. You can't bring your own lock; you've got to check out a key for a locker. You give them your membership card, they give you a key. Easy as that.

Each key has its own locker, so the locker that you get (naturally) depends on the key that you are given by the attendant. This seems like common sense- but what I didn't realize before yesterday- is that this system completely removes one's natural ability to select the location of our locker.

Men: Imagine that every time you pee, you have to use a pre-assigned urinal. This would override any/all prehistoric instincts to go to the urinal furthest away from any other person.

I never knew that women had a variation of this instinct as well. To be honest, I'd never paid much attention to the logistics of changing in a locker room in front of other women... before yesterday. As luck (or some weird and somewhat skeezy plan of the locker room lady) would have it, all the keys distributed in the 15 minute window in which I was changing, were for lockers in the same bank. There are about 5 rows of lockers; usually there are one or two people in each row at any one moment.

But here's a schematic of what it looked like last night when I returned from the shower:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


(I'm the one in pink- surrounded by the other naked pink dots all crowded into one small space)



It was weird. And judging by the looks of "uhh... where am I supposed to look?" on everyone else's face (as I had to make extra efforts to make either EYE or FOOT contact with everyone else there), I wasn't the only one who thought it was oddly uncomfortable.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

woman's locker room....hot.

Anonymous said...

ITS CALLED lesbianism.
gyms are total meatmarkets. esp. for the same sex... its weird...
i dont change/shower in public!

Gina Grace said...

No, no- I'll save my comments about dog parks for another day...


Good call on not changing/showering in public anon-#2... you'd hate for that gayness to rub off on you. I'd much rather live in my own stench and sweaty clothes than risk any of that gayness spreading to me. I hear it travels via eye sight. Oh yeah- and parents give it to their kids too. Totally. I'd be very concerned if I were you.

Sigh...



Can I get a collective eye-roll?

Lisaopolis said...

lol yes, because changing with other women is how you turn into one of the gays! Just like how kissing makes you pregnant, so watch out, girls. Ask 'palooza, she drives a Subaru, hits the dog park regularly AND has a husband. Now that's diversity!

I like this post and now realize our campus pool locker room key-hander-outers (usually students who have their noses in some econ book and/or cliff notes for something) hand out the keys in sequential order--it's very weird.

ALthough I chalk it up to the American Puritan spirit when it comes to not knowing where to look. They're called tits 'n ass, people, we've all got 'em. Why pretend we don't. Awww, there I go again, too much time in Europe being partially naked, no one caring...

Lisaopolis said...

btw, very savvy schematic, where the "H" did you procure that from? You must have done some real Nancy Drew sleuthing online for that one, or have some madd graphic skillz!

Gina Grace said...

100% pure madd graphic skillllz

Emily:) said...

lol, love the diagram! Very high tech of you:) And eye diversion should be an olympic sport all on its own. Wait, you mean you can't get pregnant from kissing? I need to stop getting my information from Jerry Springer.

Gus said...

Just suck it up, look each person in the eyes, then say "I'm tired of missing the pant leg when I try to get dressed because I have my eyes closed, so I might accidentially see your breasts and or butt. Please don't think I am coming on to you."

Then you can laugh, and continue to get dressed.

And if you get dressed quicker because you aren't averting your eyes from everything, you will have more time for the naked pillow fights we all know that sorority girls have all the time...

Lisaopolis said...

Erik, I am actually going to try that line some day. That is pure classic genius!

Lisaopolis said...

yes, but you haven't lived til you've seen ALUMNAE SORORITY PILLOW FIGHTS...

Krista said...

Wait, naked pillow fights? I thought it was all about bra-and-panty tickle wars.

Huh, me and the girls at the locker room have got it all wrong.

Anonymous said...

Alumnae sorority naked pillow fights! Well I hadn't thought of that, I better hit the YMCA before the next girl's weekend. - Beth

Anonymous said...

thanks for the chuckles you all!