Monday, January 30, 2006

Not trying to jump on the anti-corporate/Supersize Me band-wagon but...

I think I have the short answer to America's weight problem: Let's start looking (with both eyes)at how much food we're eating! As a Registered Dietitian, I feel that it is necessary to stay up-to-date and current on availability of fast food at popular American franchises. So I went to Popeye's Chicken the other day for an evaluation. Which involved eating a three piece chicken strip meal...

Which enjoying my meal (which ironically, I didn't enjoy at all because, well, it was pretty gross- I honestly don't know why I went there, other than I remember that the biscuits were really tasty when I went there in New Orleans... which is about all I remember. Which should have told me something.) I was reading through the flyer on my tray and discovered that it contained 4 columns of coupons for use at future visits. What I'm about to tell you is not an exaggeration, I'm reading it as a type (yes, I took it home because I planned to mail it to Kelly, who I knew would appreciate the insanity of it).

column Number 1 "Snacks": 3 pieces and a biscuit

Does the world need a reminding that HALF of a chicken is a bit more than a snack? Maybe this is why people think that a dietitians mantra of "at least three meals and two snacks a day" sounds so impossible. At that rate, there would be no more chickens pecking this earth... A string cheese and some raisins... celery and some peanut butter people... THAT is a snack!

Column 2 "Meals for 1": Free 2 Piece Meal with the Purchase of 2-Piece Dinner.

I hope for the sake of our nation's total LDL levels that they're considering this for a total of 2 people, but I fear all 4 pieces will head toward the same mouth...

Column 3 "Meals for 2": 10 pieces, 1 Large Side and 5 biscuits $9.99

That's it, no buy one get one free, just 10 pieces of deep fried chicken, a large bucket of side dish, and 5 biscuits. Between 2 people though, I'd hate to see the fight about who gets a third biscuit, and who gets stuck with only two measly biscuits, (plus 5 pieces of chicken and about 2.5 cups of mac and cheese, baked beans or mashed potatoes...)

And yet, as a nation, how much do we spend on the diet industry???

Column 4 "meals for the family": Buy a bunch of chicken and then go hide the bones in the cracks of the sidewalk for the neighborhood dogs to choke on!



Alright, that's all for now. I'm going to go drink some water and maybe have an apple. And 15 pieces of chicken. Cause I'm trying to watch my portion sizes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's all about portion control...

Lisaopolis said...

agreed!

And I hate that fast food places call their food combos 'meals'. Because they are not balanced.

Supersize me!

n8 b said...

damn Gina, I'm hungry now and it's only 8 in the morning!
too bad there's no Popeye's in L-town....
I'll have to settle for a large popcorn chicken and maybe a side of Buffalo wings with some mashed potatoes for lunch....
glad to hear DC is treating you good.....

Anonymous said...

luvitiluvitiluvit! More publicity for pb and celery! In my dreamworld, massage therapists and meditation people will offer pre- meal cool down sessions so we can eat after 'becoming centered.' hey- ya gotta dream. mom used to dream about mc'd's having salad...

Gus said...

popeyes chicken is the shiznit.

abby and I split a taco salad today, and it wasn't enough to keep us full. I wish it was, but even with the benefit of a small stomach and the memory of a high metabolism in high school, I still would be hungry if I had the popeyes "snack."

Anonymous said...

Tina worked on a special the immortal Oprah is doing on the American public's terrible eating habits. Not sure when but I bet it will be good. Tina was grossed out.