Thursday, March 19, 2009

Grease Monkey

Two days ago I got a flat tire on my bike, and upon inspection, I realized two things: 1) I'd managed to get a pretty big puncture in the tire itself, not just the tube, and 2)My bike was really dirty! Bikes get grimy fast when ridden during March in the northwest! So I gave her* a little spa-day yesterday and she's now sporting a new kevlar tire, a sparkly chain and a gunk-free cassette. However, I feel like grime is a lot like energy- it can't be made or destroyed, only transferred. All the grime seems to remain on my hands (and on the bottom of the bathtub in which I dumped the dirty water bucket...)

Does anyone have any good tips or tricks for getting rid of greasy gunk with normal household items/cleaners? I'm looking to avoid a trip to a drug store for a heavy duty hand degreaser. Lemon juice? Baking soda? Anything?? Any advice would be appreciated as right now, despite the fact that I've washed my hands about a gazillion times, it still looks like I dug myself out of a grave this morning.

On a more fun note, we took a ride out to Redmond yesterday evening by hopping on the Burke Gilman trail and connecting to the Sammamish River trail. It was somewhat nostalgic; we rode past 60 Acres, which I am happy to report "still smells like soccer practice" and also past lots of mobile homes and campers that take up residence on the banks of the Sammamish Slough. It was refreshing that this area hasn't been "repurposed" as some sort of high end water-front property (probably aided by the fact that much of this are has an unmistakable odor of slough). I never realized how handy this trail was- it isn't too crowded and nearly pancake flat. I highly recommend it.

By the time we got home it was dark and I was freezing cold. So concluded my night with hot shower and watching a movie by the fire in my Snuggie**. If that's not hedonism, I don't know what is.





*My bike needs a name. All suggestions will be considered.
** Yeah, I have one. And it came with a free book light. Jealous??

3 comments:

Wohn said...

Wow. You really have one. What's next - crocs Gina?!? When does it stop??

Unknown said...

I am pretty sure she already has Crocs. Did you pay for the Snugglie or was it a gift?
(Hint: someone has a birthday soon)

Way to go on increasing your bike time! Kelly will be proud.

Gina Grace said...

Oh- it was a gift. A lovely gift. And in lieu of a thank you note, I'll be sending the giver a photo of me snuggin' out. Which reminds me, that really should be my facebook profile photo...

I don't have crocs, but I DID have a pair of fake crocs. They're perfect post bike ride shoe- for driving home from a trail etc. But they're so light that I'd forget I was wearing them, and end up accidentally wearing them to go get the mail etc. I had to toss them. They were just too dangerous.