Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Darn that head injury...

Bah! I just realized that I referenced my head bump in my last post, but had not yet provided any background info on said head smush. Perhaps I'm still forgetful?

Here it is:

J and I decided to go out for a bike ride last Sunday, to kick off our training for this triathlon in September. We found a good route on a cycling web site- it was a 25 mile loop on the outskirts of the beltway that passed through a wildlife reserve. We took our bikes on the metro to the end of the green line and started from there. All was well until about mile 15, when I guess I got a tire off the pavement or something, and fell. Crashing my big head right into the pavement. I don't remember much of the next, oh, 5 hours, but he somehow got me to the hospital (an elderly couple driving by offered to give me a ride back to the metro, and he rode his bike back - when he got to the metro, they were still there and they told him "She's a little loopy" I don't recall this AT ALL, so I'm wondering what I was talking about...). Anyway- went to the hospital, got a CT scan x-rays etc. I had a concussion, but nothing else major. J says that I was on a 30 second loop, asking the same questions over and over when we got to the hospital:


"Are you back from Iraq?!?? Oh- yay!"

" ..... Is that a new purse? Ooooo... I love it!..... (I'd just bought it on Saturday afternoon)

"Did I crash on my new bike? Oh Man- that sucks!"

...then I would look at my scrapes and cuts and say "whoa! Look at these!" And 30 seconds later, I'd do it all over again; he said it was like 50 First Dates.


My helmet is cracked down the middle, so thank god I was wearing it. And after telling this story to a few people and hearing back "Oh- that's a good reminder- I need to get a helmet, I ride my bike all the time without one" I have new mission in life: to be the bike helmet Nazi!!


Seriously, I'd probably be disabled for life- if not dead- right now if I didn't have that thing on my head. Even with it on, it knocked me off my feet for two days. I wasn't going fast or doing anything extraordinary, n
o hills, no speed; just out for a ride on a nice sunny day.

Just my head on the black-top.



Anyway- long story short: Bike helmets rock.

5 comments:

tz said...

hey i think it was at that time you told me you were going to give me 500 hundred dollars, do you remember that?
i crack myself up.

Lisaopolis said...

No, no, she really did that. She owes us both at least 500 clams. Not real clams. Dolares. euros will work too.

Anonymous said...

Oh Gina! Do you think LIFE is asking you to slow down a bit?? Did your Mom tell you that she got a concussion on the ice when she was a coed at PSU and then had to wear a helmet whenever she went ice skating?? Take care of yourself...you do NOT want to be the star of that new film The Bride Wore Bandages! Love, Cindy PS Only 4 more weeks until graduation. YAYYY!!!!! Adults only after that.

Gus said...

It's always nice to check your friend's blogs every so often and find that they are in fact, not dead. Good job, and glad Jose was home so you weren't lying on the trail knocked out.

Looking forward to seeing you guys soon.

n8 b said...

I didn't know that they made bike helmets that big... Wow!

Seriously though, glad to hear you're okay. Being concuss (concuse?) is no fun.