Thursday, September 21, 2006

Just a little space to say what I’m really thinking.

I need to lay it out on the line. I need to come clean with a few things. I’m not really sure where to start with this, but I’ve been thinking about a couple of topics that have really hit home lately. No, it’s not about local government, it’s not about how I sometimes feel that I have no social capital here in DC, as I’m not able to incorporate political banter into cocktail party conversations. It’s not even related to my fears about the repercussions of America’s burgeoning sense of elitism in its foreign policies. It’s about TV. And toilet paper. I want to talk about it. And I want to do so using bullet points.


  • After watching the new season of Dancing With the Stars, I’ve realized that my husband kind of looks like Mario Lopez (yes, as in Saved By the Bell’s A.C. Slater- yeah, the hot one. Zack was the cute one, and Slater was the hot one... yeah, that's what I'M talkin' about...), and I like it.
  • I discovered that as of this weekend, I no longer have free HBO and Showtime (I had a sweet deal there for a while), and I’m fiending… hard. I’m like a crack addict searching for my next fix. I’m almost to the point where I’m willing to pay gobs of cash for premium TV just to get my weekly “Weeds” fix. And I don’t even want to think about not being able to watch the upcoming season of Big Love. It hurts too much to “go there” mentally.
  • Lately I’ve been wondering what would happen if, while at work after each trip to the ladies’ room, I started folding the end square of toilet paper on the roll into points, like they do in hotels. I work at a federal library, so this little detail, however minor, would be very out of place. Would the next woman to use that stall think we upgraded out janitorial contractor? Or would she just start to freak out a little, thinking that she worked with someone with a secret toilet paper hang-up? Perhaps she would wonder if she was on candid camera? How many days in a row would I have to do this before I’d start hearing people talk about it in the kitchenette?


Will I ever outgrow thinking of things like this? I have a strong feeling that the answer is NO. And I have a strong feeling that this is why people say things like , “Wow, I just don’t feel like I’m 87 years old…”

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

AC Slater huh? Well, could be worse...he could look like a bald Joey Lawrence. Whoah!

Anonymous said...

My bulleted response:

* I am glad to hear that you and Jose have already been married longer than it lasted for Mario Lopez and Ali Landry (was she REALLY a KD?)
* Splurge on the HBO, you can justify it, your husband is defending freedom for goodness sakes! Plus, I want to be able to chat with you about "Big Love", I can't wait!

Hugs, Beth

Lisaopolis said...

OMG do the defending freedom bonuses apply to 'paying for sister-in-law's Showtime' too? Please say yes. Don't MAKE me call the Prezzie 'the Devil'.

I had to laugh at the US journalists who were SURPRISED by the applause that Chavezziie got...people, wake up, hellerrr!

tz said...

wow, I'm so not prepared to think of my brother as 'hot'. I support you 100% on the toilet paper experiment, I think it could be an important social commentary.

n8 b said...

Can we start calling you Jessie Spano?

Gus said...

I love random thoughts. you should fold the toilet paper in multiple stalls. For a week or longer. Then write "boom" on the roll on the back so that when they spin the roll, they think they are going to blow up like in Lethal Weapon.

Anonymous said...

10 points for the image of a bald Joey Lawrence!

Yes I think you're right on how we won't FEEL old when other people consider us that way. I saw Ruth Conn (who my grandparents knew as a four year old) and told her she's still a four year old in their eyes, and she said, Yep, a part of us always is.

Anonymous said...

you think too much. take some zoloft.