Friday, April 20, 2007

I've got my bike back, now it's time to ride!

Hello everyone! When I got my bike back, I promised myself that I would do a century ride (100 miles) this summer. I've been looking for good rides to train for, and in the process, discovered Team in Training. Long story short, I decided to bite the bullet and not just train for a bike ride, but another triathlon- and this time, Olympic distance! I don't know what's more intimidating- training to Swim 1.5K, then ride 40K, then run 10K (all in one day! In a hurry!) OR raise the $2400 minimum fund raising goal...


I think I've got my work cut out for me! One thing is certain- I need to work out more and get into better shape, and experience has taught me that being accountable to someone or something is my best motivator. And having that something be a fund raiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is a pretty good "something." Right as I was looking for events to train for, I learned that my best friend from 8th grade's mom just passed away, after what sounded like a pretty intense battle with Leukemia. She was the kind of lady I wish I would have known better. In Jr. High she seemed like one of those moms who was hip and with it, and knew everything cool and current, but also a savvy woman- a real grown-up type mom. Like the best aspects of a lot of different moms all in one person. And that was just totally intimidating to me at the time- because clearly I was an idiot (a state that I am slowly trying to work my way out of... one step at a time). Anyway, it was a reminder that blood cancers are a very real, and that organizations that try to find a cure for them are doing the right thing.

If I can get in triathlon shape, the 100 mile century ride should be easy enough to accomplish a few weeks later. After all, I've got a pretty nice bike.

J and I are doing this together, so keep your eyes peeled for a super-fit new version of us, coming to a neighborhood near you... summer 2007.


So- do you want to donate?? Please? It's easy, tax deductible and you can do it RIGHT NOW!!

Here's the link! www.active.com/donate/tntnca04/Gina

If you'd like to make a significant donation, I'm happy to entertain the idea of a sponsorship. I'll wear a sign that says just about anything if the price is right...