Friday, February 02, 2007

Back to normal-like life

I could say that I’ve been too busy to write, but that wouldn’t be entirely true. Why just the other day, I spent a good 45 minutes reflecting on the inherent humor of growing up in the 90’s, and web researching the whereabouts of the actress that played Kimmy Giber on TV’s Full House. Which lead me to the discovery that Jody Sweetin (ie Stephanie Tanner) was almost a child star-turned normal, happy, functioning member of society before a little tousle with methamphetamines. Sounds like she’s getting back on track which is well- just impressive. Good for her. As I recall from my days in the public health “trenches,” that stuff is capital B-A-D and can really mess a person up. Come to think of it, these are the kind of problems that probably could have been easily avoided if there was a conscious effort to make sure there was just as much “Dad and Steph” time as there was “Dad and Deej’” time, as I do recall that about every show ended with Bob Saget kneeling down with a various child actress on his knee, wiping a tear from her eye and saying:

“Ever since mom died, blah blah blah…. You know what I think we should do? Let’s be extra sure to plan more special Dad n’ (insert child name here) time. You know- just the two of us. How does that sound?”

(Thank you Bob Saget, for not only modeling “effective parenting skills” but also for giving any would-be child molesters a perfectly scripted pick-up line.)

And it seems that I’ve gotten a bit off track here…

All is good here with me. I’ve taken several big breaths and have sufficiently exhaled now that J is HOME. Ummm…. home. A nicer word than I’ve ever known.

Been listing to a lot of Nanci Grifith lately. In the car of course, so I can sing along loudly and really solidify my white girl identity. It’s kind of my happy-place music, so I guess that’s where I am.

7 comments:

tz said...

hmmmm, so the family of choice in my day was that show w/ michael j fox...forgot the name...and i have no idea what that would say about us...except i really loved their kitchen. liked the kitchen in full house too, maybe it's the kitchen that makes a family work...i think that may be our next remodeling project.
oh family ties...i think that was it.
glad j is back! tell him to call his sister!

Lisaopolis said...

Yeah, no one calls his/her older sisters any more. What is up with THAT?

I always enjoyed the vastness and color scheme of the Brady Bunch kitchen. It's the heart of the home!

Check out Shawn Colvin's "These Four Walls". Maybe if I'm feeling saucy I'll send you a copy.

Gus said...

gina. Don't know if you and Lisa have seen NOSE lately, but we have a new quest, and drinking 365 different beers in a year be that quest.

Check it out, and if you are interested, leave a comment so Nate can invite you into the blog.

www.365beers.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

yay, g and j are sittin in a tree :)

ok now speaking of the shows we grew up with and where we are now...

...last week's new yorker had an article about sarah silverman...the author felt alienated by her (i can see where he might be coming from) but mentioned how she is the Anti- Hug!

i think a great girl Jack Sparrow- figure. Har!

Lisaopolis said...

Back to normal life, but clearly not back to blogging life. Shya!

Lisaopolis said...

By the by, that pic of Nancy Griffff on her website? TOTALLY is what "AAH" should be for Halloween. The resemblance is a tad scary!;)

Anonymous said...

nahhhyees!

ja, you know i like that 'tyalkin t' th' l'yrd (or goddess)- look, anytime-o-year!

but c'mon i'm using clairol's natchrul instincts now!!