Monday, August 14, 2006

An Update

Akk! The following post was written several days ago... I hit "save to draft" instead of "post" so... its just been hanging out, waiting to be read!

Behold... the hidden post of yesterweek:

Hi blog friends!

For a most interesting retelling of my experience at the Dixie Chicks concert last week with Lisaopolis, please visit her blog for a fabulous and (predominately) accurate account. I would have written my own entry, but figured that since SHE was the one who was ensandwiched by two drunk Mommy’s Gone Wild, SHE deserved to recount the evening…

Mom and Dad came down to visit for a quick stop in DC last Thursday before we all boarded the Amtrak to NYC, the embarkation port for our cruise(apalooza) to Canada last week. I refrained from taking photos, as between Lisa and Carnival Cruises (which offered copious amounts of photo ops with people dressed up as Mounties, fishermen, Nova Scotian pipers, pirates etc), I figured that all photographic needs were more than covered. Because of this, I have no photos to offer you (yet) of the actual cruise.

However… I do have photos from CSI Washington. Taken by my camera phone. By me. In my apartment. Which was the crime scene! Yeah, I came home to find that my apartment had been broken into while I was away. Coming home to find my place robbed really filled me with that not-so-fresh feeling of an uninvited stranger lurking through my things- which he/she/they clearly did. I suppose they were looking for computers, cash and jewelry, as they got two out of three from me (please... like I’D have cash laying around?? I’ve been so debit-card-only for the past 10+ years that I barely remember what currency looks like!) Once again, the idiots did not take the road bikes. (Did I mention that my mountain bike was ALSO stolen about a month ago?? The $300 mountain bike that was RIGHT next to thousands of dollars worth of road bikes? Idiots.) So two laptops and one wedding band later, (Shoot. So much for the bright idea of leaving it here, safely tucked in the back of my dresser drawer for “safe keeping” wile he’s in Iraq…) I am once again, dealing with my fabulous insurance company. And when I say fabulous, I’m actually not being sarcastic. USAA is the greatest. I highly recommend them to anyone who needs insurin’.

So thieves, in case you’re reading this, I’m going to lay it on pretty thick now:

Dear Thief:

Thank you for stealing my husband’s wedding band. I hope you have absolutely no clue that it is platinum and let some pawn shop owner suckers you into taking 50 bucks for it. Stupid jerk! I also hope that you appreciate that it was in my drawer (that you pilfered through) because he is in Iraq fighting terrorism AND evildoers AND people who hate freedom, wearing a cheap silver band now, figuring it would get banged up, or lost, or (possibly even) stolen while at WAAAAAARRRRRR.


Love and snuggles,

Ginapalooza


Okay, okay, I know the stuff about the evil-doers and freedom haters was bit much… but if ever there were a time to milk the “my husbands in Falluja” card, why not now?

So in the interest of multimedia, here are some pictures of CSI DC…
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Exibit A: Trying to snag a quick photo while the officers were working… trying not to be too obvious about it… while sitting on my couch twiddling my thumbs, wondering what the heck one is supposed to DO while officers are dusting one's residence for fingerprints... Make small talk? Offer a drink? (answers: 1. Yes 2. No)


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Exhibit B: My door with the fingerprint dust all over it. Please note my new dead-bolt that my landlord had installed already before I got home. (Yeah, not much good to get prints off a door that had been handled by the locksmith, but heck, at least they tried.)

Okay- that's all I've got for now.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

omaga - those are TRUE CSI DC photos! Crazy to have someone actually 'dust for fingerprints' in your own home! What a WEIRD experience!! Glad to hear that USAA is treating you so good - I second it - totally a fabulous organization. :)
Amy B

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a bummer...

Esteban O

Anonymous said...

Tell 'em, G!

That bites that your place got rummaged through.

What would you title the girl scout badge that would prepare young women for this part of life?

Lisaopolis said...

do any signs point to...the first locksmith? This is looking like a great mystery.
I like the cop shot, I was just there, in that peaceful apt., alas...

What do you mean, 'predominantly' accurate account??? Spill!

Where are the sparkly black cowboy hat + next morning pretty angel shots? Send them to me first, please for approval and/or censoring.

I hope the insurance debaucles are working out, shoot!

Anonymous said...

NOOOOO!!!! I am HORRRRIIIFFIIED that you were robbed. Hope you are feeling safe. Safer, anyhow. USAA is the best..they really came through when my NEIGHBOR robbed me on 92nd street while I was away in Paris several years ago. Criminy. I will not tell the grand-pere and grand-mere. Love, Cindy

Anonymous said...

yea you're not in seattle anymore dorothy. i miss seattle post reason # 66.
not happy to hear about the break in.
so locksmith put in new the lock and then you get robbed shortly after! totally fishy. please let me know if i'm missing something?
he was gonna give u the new key when you got home?
hello!
i like platinum band.
r u pro war?

Gina Grace said...

No, the new lock was installed AFTER I got robbed, before I got home. I was out of town, so there was a few day lag between the break in and my discovery of it. The neighbor also got robbed, so the landlord had deadbolts installed immediately in all the units. Make sense?

No, I am certainly not pro war. Ever hear the phrase "read between the lines"?

It would be the recommended course of action here.

Anonymous said...

Gina! I am so sorry to hear that your apartment got broken into! And it sucks that your husband's ring got stolen. I'm sorry. I hope that you feel better soon.

Out.
Andrea

Anonymous said...

Ah, robbers. I hope they don't come back to rob you the very next year, on almost the very same day to see what you've replaced. It's a pisser having to buy Heat again. I'm sure George was showing them were the good stuff was.

And I love how cops look so annoyed handling robberies, mainly because we're so pissed/violated/inconvenienced and they're really the only ones there to hear us.

And how about that finger print kit? Where the hell is CSI when you need them? Is that a freakin tackle box??

Gina Grace said...

Ha! That was my suitcase :) I had just returned home from vay-kay.