Monday, November 14, 2005

Its Monday, and I have nothing to offer for a snappy title. Please accept an IOU.

So I have been MIA for a while. Seems like blogging and jogging are things that are easy to continue not doing once you skip a day or two… Are there any other “ogging” verbs that are easy to skip? Flogging? Nah, who can skip out on a good flogging? Logging? I don’t know, I’ve never logged. But I did know a logger once. Hey, don’t judge, I lived in Longview. Anyway, I apologize to all who have had to wade through these last several days with only useful and pragmatic reading available to them (or “Him/Her” as the case may be. I don’t want to assume that I have plural readership, but a girl can dream…).

I suppose that one dilemma of blogging is the temptation to write all the details of life, while being mindful of the constraints of professional discretion. AKA: I try not to write about work and/or things that affect work. And those things have been renting rooms in my cerebral hotel for the last couple of weeks. I think they might be staying for a few more days, or even weeks, but soon I’ll have to send them eviction notices, as I’d like to get back to focusing on fluff as soon as feasibly possible.

For instance, Starbucks is now serving delicious coffee beverages in their holiday red paper cups. And we all know that the red cup makes all the difference. Starbucks tastes approximately 110% better in a holiday cup than a regular cup. I can’t prove this, but I’m fairly certain of it. AND they’ve come out with a new delicious mint chocolate brownie-like concoction, which expertly balances out the Cranberry Bliss bar, a favorite holiday baked good made famous circa 1999.

I actually have no idea when the Cranberry Bliss bar came out. But wouldn’t it be fascinating of I were able to research this in depth? No? Ah, I see. No really, that’s fine.

Sadly, I have only had metal capacity/vacancy for Big Girl (like “grown-up”, not “plus size”) issues lately. Nothing too heavy, and its all good stuff, not bad, just stuff that zaps a lot of my surplus energy and creativity. And since I’m fairly confident that my laugh lines aren’t going to kill me (contrary to my initial thoughts of doom toward the pending Wrinklegate 2005 Scandal), I think I’ll just allow myself to run with it.

But have faith, I have a feeling that things will settle into some sort of operating mode quite soon, and that the upcoming season of eating, drinking, shopping and Christmas-music-listening will supply me with writing ideas a’plenty.


But one quick little item that I forgot to mention: Anyone know of a cure for a dipping addiction? I seems lately that I’ve found myself in a bit of a food jag, and a new one. As a background item, sometimes I get stuck in food jags- eating the same thing for weeks on end. Potstickers, Subway Cold-Cut Combo Sandwiches, Pickles, Oreo cookies, BBQ Ribs (that one was weird, it only happened twice, but each time I pretty much ordered take-out BBQ ribs every night for a week) and English Cucumbers have been repeat offenders in the past. But this time: Anything that I can dip into something else. I’ve gone through about 3 acres worth of raw carrots/celery with ranch dressing in the last couple of weeks, and now I’m hitting green apples and caramel dip pretty hard. Lord help me if I get close to a chicken nugget before this thing passes. I worry that with Satsuma Mandarin season nipping at my nose that I might have to juggle TWO food jags at a time, and I just don’t know if I’ll be able to manage. Pray for me.

7 comments:

Lisaopolis said...

I'll just up 'n say it: you're weird.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you could have a guest blogger to get you through the dry patches? I know that Mr. Husband of mine has been wanting to write about giant squid for some time. No, that isn't a joke, he really wants to write about them. - Beth

Anonymous said...

Oh, tangerine season is my favorite! And of course brings fond memories of G. Hundley meticulously eating them in treehouse at 805 NE Ruby Street. - Beth

Anonymous said...

haha lisa is funny... and we thot gina was normal at first glance... lol. boy the blog sure saw an end to that theory. yea women shouldn't dip. thats so redneck! "a little pinch between your teeth and gums"---

yea sometimes i eat the same thing for a few meals. its a weird thing... but a whole week is pushing it... lol.
time for apple cup!

Anonymous said...

I have always been a fan of dipping, ever since Fun Dip came to Ben Franklin. Pizza dipped in ranch dresssing (really, don't knock it until you try it) is the ultimate off-the-bandwagon-of-eating-healthy moment. You just realize - right, well it's pizza and it's Ranch dressing (though I convince myself I am making a difference with the "light" Randy), two things my body has no need for and I'd like to dip one into the other and place it into my mouth. It's a shame our taste buds can't work WITH us on this. Send the "ooh, gross, what are you doing!?!" signals to the brain. Not so. My brain sends the "who cares if it's deep dish - have another - that was delicious! Let's put that number on speed dial!" Oh well, the bobblehead look is clearly not for me.

Emily:) said...

Ahhh yes, the food addiction. My cravings are seasonal, such as the 4 times in a row that I had the bacon mushroom melt combo from Wendys last month because it's "for a limited time only" or my new obsession, the "2 cheeseburgers for $2.33" deal at Dairy Queen that "won't be around forever". Luckily my food obsession change when that limited tome offer expires, but I totally know what you mean. Hmmm, maybe you should try dipping something really gross so tha tthe dipping process then grosses you out, like aversion therapy;) Otherwise, I'm no help:(

P.S. I love the new red cups from Starbucks too. It makes me happy!

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

No cures for dipping here...but I would be grateful for such a healthy food kick...the only fruits and veggies I seem to eat during the day are leftover bits on my son's highchair tray. Gross.

Hey, can't you dip tangerine slices into plain yogurt or something? It'll be two-two-TWO food kicks in one!